What is social media?
Social media strategy is the social interaction among people who create, share or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.
Andreas Kaplan and Michael Haenlein define social media as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content.
Kaplan and Haenlein identified six different types of social media, being:
- collaborative projects (for example, Wikipedia);
- blogs and microblogs (for example, Twitter and Tumblr);
- content communities (for example, YouTube);
- social networking sites (for example, Facebook);
- virtual game-worlds (e.g., World of Warcraft) and
- virtual social worlds (e.g. Second Life).
Social media strategy gold coast takes advantage of social networking to help a company increase brand exposure and broaden customer reach. The goal is usually to create content compelling enough that users will share it with their social networks.